Applying to Graduate School
Welcome to the MIT Biological Engineering Graduate Admissions page. This page explains the application process in general. To apply, go to the online application. You will be asked to create a user id and password. Please write down your user id and password for future use. You do not need to complete the entire application in one sitting. You may begin the application, save it, and return to it at a later time using your user id and password.
MIT's Department of Biological Engineering offers a graduate PhD degree program. MIT admits students for the fall term each year; there is no January or June admission.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible and are responsible for ensuring that all admissions credentials are submitted on time. Your application will not be reviewed until all materials have been received. There is no separate application for financial support; all admitted students are offered support.
The BE Department does not use the standardized GRE test as part of our application process.
How is the COVID pandemic impacting admissions?
MIT's admissions committees and offices for graduate and professional schools will take the significant disruptions of the COVID-19 outbreak into account when reviewing students' transcripts and other admissions materials as part of their regular practice of performing individualized, holistic reviews of each applicant. See MIT's Special Notice of March 26, 2020 at: https://gradadmissions.mit.edu/applications
To apply follow these steps.
1. Fill out the online application by 23:59, EST, December 15.
You will be providing the following information:
- Field(s) of interest
- Personal information/addresses
- International student data
- Three or more names and email addresses of letter writers
- Scanned copies of your College Transcripts
- For international students, scanned copies of your IELTS scores
- Educational and work history
- Statement of objectives
- Outside financial support and potential outside support
- Credit card payment of $75 (Information on requesting a fee waiver is here)
2. Arrange for submission of the following (official reports only):
Scanned PDF transcripts and IELTS scores are considered unofficial documents but are sufficient for review purposes. Official documents are required before an admissions decision can be made. Please have your test scores electronically transmitted to MIT Admissions and mail official copies of your transcript(s) to:
MIT Department of Biological Engineering
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Bldg. 16-267
Cambridge, MA 02139
For international students:
IELTS scores should also be electronically sent directly to MIT.
- To register for a test, visit http://www.ielts.org
- IELTS does not require a code. Please write "Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology". No address is required as scores are reported electronically.
- If you are an international student, you should take the IELTS test by November 15. The Department of Biological Engineering does not waive this requirement.
The IELTS is waived for applicants who are citizens of Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Singapore, or the United Kingdom, or for applicants who have or will earn a BS degree at a US university.