The BE Department is currently focused on the following efforts:
- Hiring a ChemE/DMSE/BE DEI Specialist - hiring goal of Summer 2021
- Establishing the DEI Collaborative - first meetings of all working groups before Summer 2021
- Working with IDHR, MindHandHeart, and MIT HR to develop active listening and anti-bias training - Fall 2021
- Encouraging community members to report all incidents of harassment and bias to IDHR; sharing IDHR process with stakeholder groups - Spring 2021
- Building professional development resources and opportunities for all stakeholder groups - Fall 2021
- Working to build a wider community outside of MIT and increase outreach to a larger group of historically underrepresented community members - Fall 2021
- Incorporating more ethics and diversity-focused discussions in the core undergraduate and graduate course in the department; creating a repository of BE specific ethics and diversity-related case studies - Spring 2021
- Fostering better communication between and amongst stakeholder groups - ongoing
In addition to Departmental work, the following groups contribute to significant efforts to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the department.
BE Undergraduate Board - The BE Undergraduate Board consists of the students elected to represent the undergraduate student body. Collectively, they help advocate for the student voice and build programs that support the undergraduate experience in BE.
BE Graduate Board -The BE Graduate Board consists of the students elected to represent the graduate student body. Collectively, they help advocate for the student voice and build programs that support the graduate student experience in BE. A variety of roles on the Board work to support many of the DEI efforts of the graduate students. Additionally, the BE graduate students have established DEI working groups, including Communications, Diversity Officer, Education, Recruit-hire-admit, and Values working groups. There is also a student run DEI blog.
Society for Underrepresented Biologists and Biological Engineers - SUBE is an organization started by MIT BE and Biology students to support professional development and enhance the experience of underrepresented students in the department.
BE Application Assistance Program - a program to assist potential students interested in applying to MIT Biological Engineering and graduate school programs in general. The program is supported on a voluntary basis by graduate students in the department.
Last updated 5/18/2021